Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Going Through People's Trash

Alternatively titled:  Why Marco Says I Cannot be a Waste Management Worker, even though I think I would be really, really good at it.

Some of you know that I have addictions to things.  Some of you know that I inherited those addictions from you particularly (here's looking at you MOM, with those cardboard boxes hidden under the water bed when I was like 5 and me thinking "What a GREAT use of that space!!") But I have them nonetheless.

One of those things, that I may have briefly mentioned here and here and here, is that I love to collect trash.  I especially love if that trash is unusable and has fallen out of someone's car or been left on the side of the road, or is hidden behind a dumpster in fancy-pants Rome where my husband tries to excuse my behavior in Italian and I explain in English that these people don't know me and will never see me again but that I have only one chance at that ripped, possibly stained, blue, silk whatever-it-is and I'm taking it home with me to America... but I digress.

I love collecting trash.  I love it so much that I honestly looked into waste management as a career after college because I also love recycling and consumption control and all of those parts of it too... but I thought it was time that I actually shared my collection and collection strategies.  Especially since I just asked one of the biggest groups in Oxford for their stained and ruined sweaters- I thought I'd go into more detail.  (Hey ladies!  Welcome!)

This week (alone) I collected the following items.  They are listed by order of appearance and with notes on how I acquired them as well as ideas for how I might use them once I quit my job and collect trash full time (ha! Take that Marco!).

1.  One half of an entertainment center left on the side of the road in my neighborhood.  I drove by this entertainment center for five full days before I finally caved in and made Marco help bring it home.  I'd take a picture but it's dark outside... I think I may turn it into a play kitchen or a dress up area.  Or I may take it apart and use it in my bathroom or for a desk...

2.  Several cardboard food boxes.  I may have taken these out of a recycling bin on one of my runs.  They are pasta boxes with the little windows so you can see inside.  I love those boxes.  I think I am going to use them in the recycled scrapbooks I am putting together (and by putting together I of course mean "storing on my dining room table until I actually have time to sit down and assemble them).

3.  Stained sweaters and sheets from locals.  People BRING me trash.  I ask for it, and they bring it to me.  Y'all.  It's enough to make me consider staying at the library.  Sure I offered to let them come to my next Moms and Tots craft class for free (November 9th- easy and free (or almost free) ideas for gifts for the holidays, plus a hand poured candle craft), but the point is, they just bring me these amazing wool sweaters that have holes and stains or have been shrunk in the washing machine.  There are sheets that are ripped and stained and so worn in places you can actually see through them.  I love my patrons and my moms and tots.

4.  A door, complete with frame, for our new shed.  Y'all.  I went to see my therapist on Tuesday and there were three doors by the dumpster.  I was like "Hey girl, hang on, I have got to call my husband." and in like 10 minutes, one of those doors (someone said we only needed one...) was ours.  Went to Home Depot tonight, so I could truly gloat, and it turns out that I just saved us $113.  So Marco bought me mums.  Score!

5.  Several (ahem) pallets.  After Marco picked up the free door from outside my therapist's office, I went to therapy and came out... and there were still pallets sitting there.  Free pallets that no one was going to take home.  Pallets that had not been rained on or broken or spray painted.  I loaded those babies up and brought'em home.  Unloaded them and hid them under the deck.

6.  And finally, a broken wrought iron style door that has been broken in half.  Saw it on the side of the road this morning and just could not help myself.  It was broken in half so I could easily fit it in my car.  It has pretty scroll details that don't match a thing in my house.  There was no door knob and the hinges may give me lockjaw... I would have punched someone in the face if they had tried to take that door away from me.  I have visions of using it for our gate for the fence, or a sculpture installation   Maybe a headboard of some kind... or a water feature somehow.

And it's only Wednesday. Who knows what I'll find this weekend... but I'll be sure to let you know, and take pictures when I finally have a chance to get started.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same obsession with collecting stuff, lol. And entertainment center = play kitchen. It's a no-brainer! You should see our garage...

    ReplyDelete