Monday, July 30, 2012

Too Much Stuff

I suffer from two very different but very terrible illnesses.

The first is my overwhelming addiction to yard sales and Goodwill and other people's trash.  True story: I can (and have) scale a full sized dumpster with no ladder and remove a half broken full sized dresser, by myself, in less than 3 minutes.  I love the thrill of the hunt and the dealing and the stories behind vintage/antique items.  I love it, and the amount of stuff in my house is proof of that love.

My second illness is my equally overwhelming habit to declare "TOO MUCH STUFF" and decide that I don't really love any of it.  I have been working on limiting my intake of possessions, saving time and space and money for items that I will love forever (my green velvet chair, my chifferobe, my Cheezburger painting).  It takes practice.  I still find myself looking at items I've brought home and think "hm.  Could have lived without that actually." But at least I'm trying.

So right now the too much stuff side of me is winning- hard.  And Marco and I are preparing for our first yard sale since moving into this house.  We had a half attempt yard sale before we moved in over a year ago, but that was ill planed and only half heart felt.  This time I'm being ruthless.  I'm cutting from the bone.  I'm cleaning out my fabric stash!  Y'all.  Bags and bags of fabric stash.  That's how you know it's serious.  But we're going through closets too.  And boxes we never unpacked.  And emptying corners of the house that collect dust.  And going through things that's we've put up "in storage."  Our "work in progress" philosophy is "If I can't enjoy it all the time, then why do I own it?"  Nothing is in long term storage.  Nothing is hidden away without a proper home.  Everything has been used at least 3 times the last year.  And everything else is getting put in the yard for others to fight over.

Now we're still working on our different pricing strategies, one of us correctly wants stuff to move and therefore puts realistic prices, and the other wants to haggle and get the best deal ever so he puts higher prices with wiggle room.  This is also a work in progress.  But come Saturday, we'll have gotten there somehow.

Oh, and if you're looking for pre-lit Christmas trees or an elliptical machine, televisions (from a former roommate), ironing board, craft stuff (lots of fabric), plastic shelving, a movable closet rack, tv trays (lots of tv trays) or other household goodies, stop on by.  We'll be here Saturday morning and ready to play Let's Make a Deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment