Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wearing What You've Got

You know that thing where you are supposed to turn your hangers backwards and then when you wear an item and put it back in the closet (which I rarely do btw, drives Marco crazy), you hang it back properly.  Then at the end of the year you see what you actually wore and didn't wear and you donate the rest?  Well I've been sorta doing the same thing except I already know exactly what I do and don't wear and why that happens.  

Actually, I knew when we moved a year ago what I did and didn't wear.  Moving 3 times in 2 years will get you up close and personal with all of your belongings.  So a few months ago I started a pile.  I like piles.  Anyhoo- a pile of clothes that I didn't wear for particular reasons but that I held onto for particular reasons.  Things that went into this pile:  dresses meant for 17 year olds, which I am not, but had pretty fabric or patterns; dresses that needed shortening or taking in or dyeing; pants that needed to be hemmed or dyed etc.  All of these items has been kept out of the donate pile for years so there was something I liked about them, but something that made them unwearable as well.  

So I took a look at that pile again tonight and started making smaller piles- hemming, dyeing, taking in,  painting (ahem: stain covering) and so forth.  And you know what?  In less than 2 hours I had a whole new pile- new to me clothes back in my closet and ready to wear.  Some dresses became skirts, some skirts became better skirts, pants became shorts or shorter pants... it worked out great.  And it didn't cost me a dime.  Now that's my kind of project.

No comments:

Post a Comment