Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I'm A Grandmother


Can you smell Spring or what??

I have to be honest, this winter has been really tough on me, what with the cold and whatnot.  But Spring is right around the corner and with it comes my favorite things: warm weather, gardening and baby animals.  Well, two of those things are already happening right now in my house.

Y'all.  My worms are having babies.


Remember this incredibly blown out picture from this post a few months ago?  Well the next phase of wormy parenthood is beginning and I am so incredibly excited.

This morning, as I was preparing a few pounds of soil for this year container plants (more on that this week and next)  I checked in on the worms to make sure no one had escaped.  This can happen if you are worming at home, but don't take it personally, some are not as smart as the others.  Anyhoo, I was using a spoon to scrape out some worm poop to add to my containers (the entire point of having the worms is for the black gold they produce) when low and behold, there was a teeny tiny baby worm in my scoop.

Then several things happened very quickly.

1.  I squeaked with delight and the dogs came running to see what was so exciting.
2.  Cheezburger licked the dirt.
3.  I looked down at the hole where she just licked and saw two more worm egg sacs.
4.  I realized that for the first time ever, I am a grandmother.

I also realized that it is about time that I harvested my dirt and made a new home for my worms.  They will need more newspaper bedding this time, and less dirt.  Also I have a much better grasp at how much they can eat and how fast.  Oh these worms are working!  Now to see how well the plants do with my new fertilizer.

Oh yes, spring is finally springing around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment