Thursday, February 7, 2013

Make it Shine


While we are chugging along on our Living Room Makeover 2012, I took a few hours to update another item that appears again and again throughout our home. The white, plastic, average socket covers throughout entire house.  You know, the ones that constantly leak cold air into the house which is incredibly aggravating...

So for the last few months I've been scouring eBay and thrift stores to stock up on vintage and used brass covers for the sockets and the lights.  I still need about 10 more, but I thought that I might as well get started with what I have.  Plus, I bought these while I was at it.



The process was easy, if not a little time consuming.  I simple removed the white, plastic cover, put a sealer over the gaping hole in the wall and replaced the cover with the brass plate.






I think it looks more custom than the builder white ones, and they really belong better in the house.  They match the brass doorknobs and hinges and they're shiny.  Win win win if you ask me.

And in the matter of about an hour, our outlets started to look better and the temperature in the living room was noticeably higher.  No kidding.  I probably should have done this earlier in the winter.

An easy update that will also help with our heating and cooling bills.  Plus, I figure if you can't hide the outlets (everybody's got'em), you might as well make'em bling.  And I kept the old white ones so if/when we move, we can always replace them back.  How's that for looking ahead?

Anyone else changing switch plates?  What about plate insulation?  I can already tell a difference in the temperature in the living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment