Wednesday, September 4, 2013

How You Doin'? In the Garden


Three months ago, before I up and abandoned our blog, I announced that one of our goals for this year was to grow 750 pounds of produce in our own backyard.  Well I'll be honest, I'm getting really nervous about making that goal.  Not because we aren't growing- I've got pictures to prove we're producing- but just because I'm not sure that all of our experiments are going to work exactly like we had hoped.  Namely, our watermelons are not giant behemoths like they were last year.  They're weighing in at around 3 pounds each.  And our pumpkin plants?  Totally forgot about'em and they're still seeds.  But we are chugging right along anyway.  

So what started out as harvests like this:

Yay first harvest of the year!
 And has now come to include a few of these every week:

What up chickens?!
 Has finally led in the last few weeks to harvests like these:

This was 14 lbs of produce.
Our real live total weight so far is just over 200 pounds and that is nothing to sneeze at, I know, but it's not 750.  Thankfully there are still plenty of weeks of warm weather to be had and last year we were producing tomatoes and egg plants right up into November.  We are also waiting to harvest our first potato towers, cantaloupes, and our first cabbages.

I planted our fall crops last weekend- more cabbages, broccoli, and kale.  We'll be adding another couple of potato towers and clearing out the last of the beans this weekend as well.

Anyone else having long nights of cooking tomato sauce or running out for more jars for pickles?  We've been eating all of the 2011 jars from back in the pantry in order to make more room.  I should probably be taking stock of what's in the freezer as well.

Well those chickens don't feed themselves you know, and I've got eggs to collect.  Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment