Friday, September 20, 2013

What I'm Working On


So sooner or later Marco and I are planning on starting a family.  That means a lot of things- figuring out what I want to be when I grow up, getting into the best shape we can be, buying a ton of cloth diapers and of course tackling a whole laundry list of to do things from our Home To Do List.

The list is long and fairly boring.  We are mostly just waiting on cooler weather to motivate us into gear, but while it is still hot as blazes outside, I thought I would started working on cleaning out my fabric stash- especially my bags and bags of odds and ends.


It turns out that I had an entire dresser drawer full of scraps of fabric that were too big to throw away but too small to really use.  So I pulled out all the gallon sized freezer bags I had stashed away and started sorting the pieces.  First by shape (long strips, big weird pieces and small weird pieces) and then by color.  It only took me a few minutes to start seeing the piles really come together.


And after a couple of hours "Crumb Quilting" from a great tutorial I found HERE, I found I actually had enough bits and pieces to create three decent sized quilts.


I am going to call this first one "The Quilt I Made While I Thought About You."  It turned out to be the perfect crib quilt size.
 

This second quilt I haven't named yet. It has actually grown from this picture into a twin sized quilt.  I decided to raid my larger white/cream colored stash and even added a great cream colored eyelet ruffle around the edges.


And finally, I am still working on this piece.  I think I have decided to go back and add frames around each of the separate blocks to also make it stretch closer to a twin sized quilt.  I am still playing with the layout as well.  Of course I will post pictures when it has all come together.

Who knew I had three great quilts lurking in my dresser drawer all this time.  Anyone else getting motivated for big plans?  Maybe my quilting is actually a sign that I'm ready for cooler nights already.  Can I get an amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment