Friday, March 15, 2013

Leave No Plant Behind





I like to think that I have a green thumb, and I like for all of you to think that as well.  I walk around, replanting baby plants, and growing seeds and showing off pictures of green leafy things, but sometimes, even I let a few things slide, and suddenly I find myself having to back peddle.  Case in point.

I acquired a few plants when the library had their foyer redone.  The Master Gardener's of Oxford came in and repotted things, fixed things, watered things, and suddenly things were looking great!  Plus, me and several other library assistants got a few things out of the deal as well.  I brought home one of these:


Actually, that is a weird branch that I cut off a mother plant.  The mother was huge and very branchy, so last summer I just sawed off a branch, stuck it in a milk jug of water and let it grow roots.  Low and behold, a few weeks later I had a plant- so I planted it.

Then winter came and most of our plants were moved inside.  Sadly, the mother plant was not moved inside fast enough... and when it did, it came in looking like this:


Please note that the first and second picture were taken on the same day.  This is not a "and several months later" kinda deal.  Sad isn't it?  It gets worse.

Because then I did this to it:


I know!  I just cut it all off! You see, the plant has frost damage.  Frost is a four letter word in this house, unless we're talking about kale or cabbage which both like the frost.  It had tried very, very hard to kill this plant, but I am trying very, very, very hard to not let that happen.

In fact, when I chopped off the major parts of the damage, I noticed the insides of the stems looked like this:


That black on on the left is the frost damage, the middle is too, but the one all the way on the right is the new, still damp and smelling fresh inside of the newly cut parts.  Looking good right??

But I still had this to work around as well:


The plant is majorly root bound.  See that crazy piece leaning to the right?  That's a whole new plant that should have been removed years ago.  And the Y shape on the left?  That's two separate plants that have fused together.  So I'm planning to take my hand saw back at it and get these guys good and separated.  I have been soaking the roots for a few days to help loosen up the dirt and try to unweave some of the damage by hand, but there are no promises with this one.

Anyone else ever bring a plant back to life after frost?  Have you ever sawed a plant into pieces and then had all of them regrow??  Most importantly, if this works... who wants a free house plant?!

No comments:

Post a Comment