Friday, March 22, 2013

Using What I Keep


I have been cleaning house for what feels like months. Last week I gave away all of our chemical-y cleaning and bath products. I have ruthlessly culled cthockies, fabric, unused jewelry, things in triplicate... On and on until I can finally feel a little more space. I saw somewhere once, probably on Pinterest, to not have anything in your house that you do not find truly beautiful or useful and I am running with that thought.

So now I am at the part where beautiful and useful things are left. Time to start using them and displaying them. This can get very tricky however, if I find that I do not have a place for my beautiful/needful thing.  Stuff can still get culled if I can't find a place to put it.  Nothing goes back into "storage" unless it is holiday/time of year specific.

For years I have told my family, "why have it, if you never see or use it?!" Well here is where I start living the walk. Or something like that. And I'm going to start with an item that I have refused to part with since 2006, even though my last 3 living places did not have places to use it. It has been stashed in the back of our linen closet for nearly two years now and every time I reach back there I pull it out and consider whether or not the time has come to part ways.  I still love it, it stays.  But before I get into what exactly "it" is, let's back story a bit shall we?

This is our "new" half bathroom. I call it new because it isn't original to the house- we added it last year. And I use quotes because it's been there for a year now.


But anyway- when one is using the facilities, this is what one would look at:


Charming huh? You can see I was actively doing laundry during this photo. Well, now it looks like this:


A little short, yes, but very shiny? Very yes.  Let's get a better angle.  Excuse the weird lighting, that curtain is shiny.
















My Nanny bought this polyester curtain for me when I moved in with my college roommate sophomore year and I loved it. I love it now. I will love it forever. And now it hides my laundry when guests use the guest bathroom. Using what I have success!  I'm not 100% sold with the gold on gold action, but I have been unsure of the gold paint in that bathroom since the very beginning.  It is the same color of our dining room- and I love it in there, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by it in this tiny space.  I am sure we will figure it out- but until then, and probably after, the curtain stays!

Have you dug anything out of your closet's depths lately? I'd love to see it!









No comments:

Post a Comment