Friday, March 1, 2013

Prepping Potatoes


Last week I mentioned how I started our potato beds.  Well, honestly, I am experimenting with our potato beds.  What I've read about potatoes is that once they get going, they are pretty easy, especially with the raised round beds I built, but it's the getting them there that seems the hard part.  So I took an experimental approach.  

The beds that are in now have pieces of potato (with 2-3 eyes each) that I just buried like seeds and have kept watered.  I don't see any signs of life yet, but that is to be expected.  However, I also took a few pieces and started them indoors as well.  One of the problems with just planting the pieces directly into the ground is that they can sometimes rot.  So some people suggest starting them inside first.  Basically you cut pieces with 2-3 eyes like the ones I planted outside, but you keep them watered and let the plants develop a little before transplanting them.  



Honestly, this was an experiment on so many levels because I was pretty sure there were no eyes at all on these pieces, so I thought "Hey, I'll try that grow in water thing first, see if eyes develop, and then we'll move'em outside."  Potatoes are one of those plants you want to stagger anyway to increase your yield and keep'em coming over a long period of time.



And what'ya know?  There are eyes on all the pieces.  You can just make out the tiny green buds on that middle piece there, but trust me there are plenty on all of my "wasted" pieces.  

So far, so good if you ask me.  Now if I can just get'em to grow once they get outside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment