Monday, November 12, 2012

Art in the Darndest Places


Before we moved, Marco and I went hunting for inexpensive furniture.  And low and behold, moving in May in a college town is a gold mine for inexpensive furniture.  Well, we scored (among lots of other things) this chair:


Is that a terrible picture?  Yes.  Moving on.

Well the cushion in that chair was terrible.  See how it bumps up there towards the back?  Well no amount of bouncing or shifting or dog hair could settle it down.  So I pulled out the cushion and replaced it with a square down pillow that was too firm for the bed.  It is MUCH better as a chair cushion.  And this is what I was left with:



Inspiring no?  Well I intended to tear it apart and use it for dog bed stuffing since someone and someone else refuse to share a dog bed unless forced.  And by forced I mean denied access into the bedroom and blocked from jumping onto the couch.  So I started pulling apart the old chair filler and this is what I found:


Springs!  No wonder it was as uncomfortable as all get out...  Well I gently pulled away the two layers of fluff and was left with a nice block of springs.  And a photo bomber who came by to judge.


After the Nooners judged and walked away, I was able to fall in love with my springs.  So I decided to hang them on the wall.  They remind me of the art in Boure, the huge pieces of woven cotton. I love those pieces, and now I have something much smaller and less expensive.


And in the name of keeping it real, this is actually what it looks like on the wall.  Looks like it's about time to start those built in book shelves eh??  Don't judge.  Focus on the art.


And that's how we roll in the D'Emidio/Sanford house.  Have you found any good art lately??

3 comments:

  1. I know the creator of those huge woven pieces. She's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some springs almost identical to yours at flea market today and bought them to use as art, although I'm planning to add to this already wonderful masterpiece. Great minds think alike! LOL. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Thespa! I would love to see your finished piece! We eventually built those built in shelves and that corner looks MUCH better. Now the springs are sitting on top of the built ins with several long lost cousins.

    ReplyDelete